The Peruvian Inca Orchid is a noble and ancient breed. Archaeological evidence
dates this breed back to AD 750. The Peruvian Inca Orchid (PIO) is represented
by hairless and coated individuals in three sizes: small, medium, and large. The
Peruvian Inca Orchid is also commonly known as Perro Sin Pelo del Peru (PsPdP),
Peruvian Hairless, Peruvian Hound, and Viringo. Members of the Peruvian Inca
Orchid Enthusiasts Club, Inc. (PIOEC) have dedicated themselves to preserving
and promoting the purebred Peruvian Inca Orchid and providing educational
information and support for both purebred and mix-breed owners and the public at
large. All members of the PIOEC agree to follow and foster the goals and
guidelines set forth in these Code of Ethics. Where appropriate, international
members should substitute their country's and their controlling kennel club's
laws, rules, and regulations. Any member may submit a waiver to the PIOEC Board
of Directors (BOD) for extenuating circumstances or instances that do not abide
by these Code of Ethics.
I. Member Responsibilities:
A. Provide for all dogs in their keep
- 1. Appropriate food, water, and shelter. Hairless dogs must be provided indoor
shelter to prevent sunburn and skin lesions.
- 2. Protection from bodily harm.
- 3. Health care including veterinary attention and any immunizations required by
law and/or based on veterinarian recommendations.
- 4. Stay current in breed-specific genetic problems and health testing.
- 5. Proper sanitation at home and in public areas.
- 6. Proper grooming and exercise.
- 7. Attention, affection, and socialization.
- 8. Appropriate identification, proper control of dogs.
- 9. Euthanasia must be humanely performed by a licensed veterinarian.
B. Promote and protect the breed.
- 1. Become familiar with AKC and FCI breed standards.
- 2. Breed specific self-education.
- 3. Provide breed education to owners, potential owners and the public.
- 4. Abide by American Kennel Club (AKC) rules and regulations.
C. Promote and protect the club
- 1. Behave as ambassador for both the breed and the club.
D. Refuse to sell, donate, or surrender any Peruvian Inca Orchid as follows
- 1. Selling to pet shops, wholesale dealers, or other commercial entities is
- 2. Selling for purposes of dog fighting or crossbreeding is prohibited.
- 3. Selling to experimental laboratories is prohibited.
- 4. Knowingly selling to any individual or agent who will in turn sell to a pet
shop, wholesale dealer, commercial entity, or laboratory is prohibited.
- 5. Knowingly selling to any individual or agent who will in turn use for
purposes of dog fighting or crossbreeding is prohibited.
- 6. Donating for lottery, raffle, or auction (even for charity) is prohibited.
- 7. Surrendering to a non-breed specific shelter or rescue is prohibited unless
the option does not exist. Many rescues and shelters do not understand the
Peruvian Inca Orchid's tendency to be wary of strangers and often mistake
hairlessness for mange; seemingly unhealthy and unfriendly dogs tend to be
euthanized. All efforts should be made to place dogs with knowledgeable rescues
and foster homes.
E. Encourage and/or assist Peruvian Inca Orchid rescue operations
II. Breeder Responsibilities:
A. Maintain and improve the breed in accordance with the AKC standard (or the
breed standard recognized by their country for international members.)
B. Be familiar with AKC rules applicable to litter and individual registrations.
C. Breed only animals in good health.
D. Ideally only breed a bitch between 2 - 8 years of age.
E. Ideally a bitch should not produce more than 4 litters during her lifetime
and should not be bred more than two of three consecutive seasons.
F. Will not breed solely for the purposes of profit.
G. Will not purposely mix-breed. Should an accidental breeding occur all pups
will be spayed and neutered.
H. Agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies that do not conform to
the standard will be placed in suitable pet homes. Pups born with congenital
problems will be spayed and neutered or humanely euthanized.
I. Encourage the spaying/neutering of pet quality dogs.
J. Accurately represent pedigree, health history, temperament, and breeding
K. Negotiate all breeding agreements prior to breeding via a written contract.
L. Have qualified homes identified prior to breeding whenever possible.
M. Produce puppies only when breeder has the time, facilities, and resources to
provide for proper care both physical and emotional development and training.
N. Stud dog owners will promptly sign and return the stud service certification
when the terms of the contract have been satisfied.
O. Whenever possible, notify owners of related dogs of any health or genetic
problems which may occur during the dog's lifetime.
P. Will be responsible for all puppies produced during their lifetimes. Will
provide owners guidance and support throughout the dog's life. Will take the dog
back at anytime during its lifetime or help to re-home if it becomes necessary.
III. Seller Responsibilities:
A. Puppies must be 8 weeks or older and in compliance with country, state, and local laws.
B. Find appropriate homes for all puppies.
- 1. Research all potential buyers.
- 2. Request and check references.
- 3. Do or arrange for home checks when possible.
- 4. Provide dam and/or sire for buyer inspection if possible.
C. Provide healthy animals with appropriate immunizations and complete
and accurate health records.
D. Educate buyers or potential buyers of breed and dog-specific needs and
- 1. Proper care and grooming.
- 2. Proper facilities.
- 3. Advise of any known health defects.
- 4. Temperament of individual dogs.
- 5. Recommendations.
E. Transfer registration papers to the buyer at the time of sale or withhold
papers only in accordance with AKC rules applying to individual registrations,
or by written agreement with the buyer.
F. Notify buyers or potential buyers of any delays or difficulties in
G. Provide in writing any/all health guarantees and/or compensations.
A. No individual can make a final decision on behalf of the PIOEC.
B. Threatening, intimidating, and abusive behavior will not be tolerated.
C. Maliciously degrading another member's dog or kennel will not be tolerated.
D. Abide by rules and regulations at dog shows, matches and trials.
E. Exhibit good sportsmanship and integrity at all time.
F. Positively represent the breed and club.
G. Respect and treat all dogs humanely.
H. No member shall be involved with puppy mills, brokers, pet stores, or any
other entity that does not have the best interest of breed or an individual dog
I. Selling entire litters to one buyer is prohibited.
J. Falsification of records will not be tolerated.
A. Failure to follow the PIOEC Code of Ethics may be cause for discipline or
expulsion from PIOEC.
B. Suspension of AKC privileges for any reason will result in PIOEC suspension.
PIOEC membership will be reinstated when the AKC reinstates.
C. In case of any business transaction involving Peruvian Inca Orchids, the
PIOEC will refuse to entertain any grievance brought against another member
unless a written contract or documents signed by both parties are submitted with
I have read and agree to abide by the Code of Ethics of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
Enthusiasts Club, Inc. I understand that refusal to abide by these rules may
results in my dismal from the Peruvian Inca Orchid Enthusiasts Club, Inc.